Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hot glue glittered snowflake ornament




It is already that time of the year that stores display Christmas decorations way too early. I think it is still a bit early, but Sonja Foust decided it was the right time to do a Christmas themed PintesterMovement.



I decided to make hot glue glittered snowflake ornaments from by Stephanie Lynn, written by Pitter&Glink.

On Pinterest, someone suggested using Epsom salt instead of glitter. Clearly they never tried it. The salt didn't stick properly onto the snowflake and it kept on falling off, but it looks very cool.
I didn't have white glitter, so I used blue and it looks great. I also didn't use as much glitter, but I still like it. I must warn you that I am not good at using my hot glue gun, I cannot have nice continuous stream of glue.


The instructions are very simple, or else I wouldn't have chosen this pin test.

Supplies:

  • snowflake template
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • wax paper
  • dish detergent
  • glitter, or Epsom salt if you want to use it
  • Mod Podge
  • paint brush
  • small needle and thread, preferably white

Directions:

  1. Find a snowflake template, print it out. I used this one. It is easiest to use one with simple lines and which is not too busy. Make sure it is not too small, or else it will become a blob of hot glue instead of a snowflake.
  2. Heat the hot glue gun.
  3. Place a sheet of wax paper over your template, spread the dish detergent onto the wax paper, using a few drops of water to let it spread easier.
  4. With your hot glue gun, trace the template, trying to create a continuous flow of glue with even pressure.
  5. Let the glue cool for a few minutes, then peel it off the wax paper. If it sticks to the paper, run it under cold water. If there are any weak spots, secure them with more glue. Let it cool until firm.
  6. Cover ornament in a thin layer of Mod Podge, cover with glitter. Let dry.
  7. Use the small needle and poke a hole through the ornament and lead the thread through it. Tie a knot.
  8. Put on Christmas tree :)
I think my pin test worked out pretty well.





 Merry Christmas!!!


11 comments:

  1. I've thought of doing these, since I bought a glue gun during the last Pintester Movement. Yours are very festive, and I actually like the blue glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blue too! I keep thinking I want to try this but I'm afraid. Usually hot glue gun=burns for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has a whole tree of these snowflakes...she would love these!
    mommyinsports.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking at those snowflakes for a while and thinking about doing them. I was afraid I would just burn myself and have something that looks like a 5 year old made it. You did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out really well! Love the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blue glitter. Gives it some color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked at these and thought about my last experience with a glue gun (umm, it did not go well at all) and decided against them. Yours look so cute, I might just have to suck it up and try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 40 days?! True, I've started my Christmas shopping, but that's sick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOH, I like these - I've seen similar ones that don't have glitter added, but frankly the sparkliness adds something! I'm glad I'm not the only one who apparently lacks hot-glue-gun skills. . . I had to pull strings off my clothespin snow flakes and was left with blobs all over my newspaper covered workspace (at least I learned how to take care of my work space!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all of the compliments, I really appreciate them, because I don't consider myself a hot glue gun pro. I wasn't very successful with the white snowflakes, but practice made perfect and the blue one turned out great!

    ReplyDelete