Monday, July 8, 2013

Pintester Movement 2.0 - Crazy Cake / "Nora" torta




I have participated in the first Pintester movement and it was a huge success. I got more than a thousand views from the site, which for me, is a HUGE success. Since this pin test had to be of a pin that Sonja already tested, I decided to test the crazy cake. It seemed pretty simple. And thanks to Sonja's advice, I greased the baking pan before mixing. It was harder to combine all of the ingredients since all of the dry ingredients stuck to the pan, but I scraped it up so the batter was fully combined.
This cake recipe was developed during WW2, when eggs, butter and milk were very expensive, that is why it substituted eggs with vinegar and butter with oil.

My cake turned out looking very similar to the original source's. Yay!




So the directions to make this cake are really simple, and so are the ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • butter (for greasing the pan)
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups cold water
  • powdered sugar (as garnish)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F or 180° C.
  2. Grease a 13X9 baking pan with butter.
  3. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in the baking pan.
  4. Make three holes and pour the vanilla extract into the first, vinegar into the second and oil into the third.
  5. Pour water over the entire pan.
  6. Mix everything with a fork or whisk. Make sure to get everything on the bottom.
  7. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and then dust with powdered sugar.

I hope you try this recipe, it is delicious. You don't have to make it in the baking pan, you can always make the batter in a bowl and then pour it in.


Please comment below!!!

12 comments:

  1. Glad it worked out well! I wonder if it's any healthier with those substitutions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks great! Although mine turned out darker than the original picture, too. So weird...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! Pin win! Everyone has done better than me so far o_O :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks tasty. I also love that its vegetarian/vegan friendly minus the butter for the pan. I'm going to try this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good. I never understood the mixing it up in the pan part though. I would be too afraid of mixing in too much of the butter and everything sticking at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when people discover this one. It's basically (with some modifications) what my go to chocolate cupcake recipe is and everyone raves about it.

    I've done it as mocha, almond joy, and most recently cherry cordial. (Big hit)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing better than easy chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I've been looking for a good chocolate cake recipe - yours looks fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good!! Maybe my kids and I will give this a try this week. I'm glad you had success with your pin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious, and dairy free too (minus the butter)! Glad you had a pin win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!
    Glad your cake worked out! Looks yummy! But anything chocolate looks yummy to me!
    I work in our local lunchroom, we make this about once a month. It is called Wacky Cake, we try to play off the word for the kids. We use whipped topping on it. Some days we color the whipped topping to match the season. Other times we dust it. But is good for low fat. With all the changes that we have to make, the kids LOVE this. Maybe because they get cake!
    Love your post!!
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all of the nice comments. Please feel free to contact me with any questions...

    ReplyDelete