Friday, December 28, 2012

Caramel sauce / Karamelni preliv



So today I decided to make caramel sauce. I thought it would be pretty easy, since all of the instructions I read were pretty simple. Boy was I wrong! It took me three times to perfect the recipe. The first time I didn't let the sugar change colour to a deep amber, so the ˝caramel˝ tastes like sweet vanilla pudding. The second time I tried to make caramel, I accidentally over burned the sugar (by just a few seconds!) and it tasted horrible. The third time, the caramel came out just the way I wanted. For my first try, I used the recipe from Fifteen spatulas, the second and third from Life and Kitchen. In the last recipe I didn't add the vanilla bean and it still turned out fine.



Here is a photo of my first attempt:

Here is what I needed to make my final caramel sauce:
- 1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup white sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat the heavy cream in the microwave at medium heat for a minute. You want to heat the cream so the sugar won't seize up and harden.
2. Spread the sugar in a thin layer in a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and watch carefully. Soon the sugar will start to liquefy. Stir the sugar into the centre until all of the sugar is melted and reaches a deep amber colour. Take off the heat immediately.
3. In small portions pour the heated heavy cream into the sugar. The mixture will steam and bubble but keep stirring. Keep adding the cream and the bubbling and steaming will end. 
4. Stir in the salt and vanilla extract.
5. Pour sauce into an airtight container and let it cool.
My caramel, when it was still hot.

Now you have great caramel sauce. You can use it on ice cream, coffee or on desserts.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment