Friday, December 28, 2012

Gingerbread cookies

This Christmas I knew I wanted to have gingerbread cookies. I made the dough on Saturday and planned to make the cookies on Christmas eve, so they'll be fresh. I was so busy on Christmas eve that I didn't get a chance to bake the cookies, so I baked them yesterday. I think that they turned out great, so I'll share this recipe with you. I used a recipe from allrecipes, except that I halved it.
(My cookies kind of crumbled when I put them in the cookie jar because I didn't let them cool completely.)


Ingredients:
  • 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) baking powder
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons (3 grams) ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon (1 grams) ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon (1 grams) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) molasses
  • 1/2 cup  (110 grams) packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 ml) vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Mix together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, ground cloves and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the butter, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg and vanilla extract.
  3. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients until they are completely absorbed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C. On a lightly floured surface roll out smaller portions of the dough and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Bake in the oven for 10  to 12 minutes. When the cookies are done, they will look dry yet still soft to the touch. Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack. When completely cooled, you can decorate the cookies with your favourite icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment